....my oh so very random thoughts

Friday 21 October 2016

A LETTER FROM GLORIA

On today's episode of "I bet you didn't know that!...."

"Studies show that one in four children have undiagnosed eye problems which can interfere with learning and lead to academic and/or behavioral problems"

Gloria is 8 years old, the only child to a single mom. She is a lively and brilliant girl but her school performance is poor.
She hardly pays attention in class and doesn't copy notes from the chalkboard. Her relationship with her classmates is strained at best as she is usually the butt of their jokes.
 "Olodo rabata!" they'd hail her, everytime she failed to answer the teacher's question in class.
 Her last report card reads; "Gloria is a lovely girl but she is very lazy. She can do better."

I am Gloria.
Right from when I was born my parents noticed there was something wrong with my eyes. I went to the optometrist so many times I lost count, there was no test I didn't do, practically changed lenses every six months because the doctors kept getting it wrong.
My folks, bless their hearts, were determined to get my vision corrected.

"Visual  difficulties  affect  children’s  ability  to  learn (three  times  more  likely  to  fail  at  least  one  grade), resulting in academic  under-achievement  and  risk of reduced  adult  literacy.  This  has  a  significant  impact  on professional and social fulfillment."

I was one of the lucky few.
I didn't let the fact that I couldn't see the chalkboard properly deter me from copying my notes and making excellent grades. I was a nuisance to my seatmates cos I was always leaning over their shoulders to copy their notes, my nose almost making contact with their books.
I always made sure my seat was as close to the board as possible. In Class 5 I practically begged my teacher with tears to let me put my seat in front of the class.
One time in high school at the beginning of a new term, I cried my eyes out when I discovered my seat had been moved to the back. It was a major melt down, my class mates were positively stunned.
Before you laugh at me, I went to a federal school and seating positions were survival of the fittest. I'd never forget it was Chiamaka Chukwuemeka    who calmed me down and somehow I got my front spot back.

"Good eyesight (the ability to read  at a certain  distance which is  tested  in  some  countries)  is  not  the  same  as good  vision."

It was a bit difficult explaining to people my eye problem. It usually involved a lot of words like "myopia", "strabismus", "nystagmus".
When I was younger my parents thought I hated wearing glasses because it didn't look "cool" but in actual fact, all they did was give me a headache.
The question "Why are you not wearing your glasses?" still annoys me to no end.

"  Vision  problems  cause  developmental  difficulties and  have  been  linked  to  anti-social /delinquent  behavior.  In  the  USA,  up  to  70%  of  juvenile  offenders  have undiagnosed vision problems."

I had a lot of coping mechanisms.
In the university, whenever I was walking with my girlfriends, if someone from afar waved at us, one of them would lean closely and whisper the name of the person who was waving so that way my face would register recognition and I could wave back without looking foolish. I really do have amazing friends.

"$269  billion of  productivity  is  lost worldwide due  to uncorrected vision."
I finally learned how to drive this year but I still harbor this fear that my eyesight could get me into a lot of trouble behind the wheel.

"Vision  problems  can  reduce  employees’  performance  by  as  much  as  20%4  and  considerably  affect employment  opportunities, job satisfaction  and  job security."

Dear teacher,
I am not lazy. I really just have a hard time reading the blackboard and it gives me a constant headache. I also feel bad why my class mates call me names.
I could use reading glasses and a little positive reinforcement. Thank you.
                          - Gloria

No comments:

Post a Comment