....my oh so very random thoughts

Thursday 11 August 2016

Fremdschämen: The Curse Of Second Hand Embarrasment

Fremdschämen: the process of being vicariously embarrassed by another’s actions.

As if being weird is not enough, I suffer from a severe case of what Oyibo people call Second hand embarrassment.
In other words, I feel embarrassed on behalf of other people. I can't bear to watch people in embarrassing situations, even on TV shows!
You'd literally see me cringing in my seat and covering my face on days when the choir can't decide which key they want to stay on.

Or like the time I was having lunch at Eka Udoh and this guy comes to share my table. Five minutes later he says to me "Your watch is fine". To which I reply with a knowing smile  "Ah yes, thank you".
And that was it o. Awkward silence. Game over. Dude!!

Or how about those poor souls that crack jokes and have to laugh at their own jokes because nobody gets it.

It's the same way I feel about people who don't get sarcasm or innuendos.
Cuts me deep to my soul. Nobody deserves that.

**Eka Udoh is a popular joint in Akwa Ibom State.

No comments:

Post a Comment