....my oh so very random thoughts

Thursday 25 August 2016

Patient Participation In Health Care

Disclaimer: "If they don't watch Zee world and Telemundo in your house, you don't know what the Lord has done for you."

On today's episode of "Study medicine they said, it'd be fun they said..."

During my labour ward rotation, one of the routine questions I got to ask the women I encountered
was if they were aware of or had ever done a Pap smear. 99.99% of the time, I usually received answers in the negative.
But perharps what was most interesting to me was that none of these women ever paused to ask me what a Pap smear was.
Like aren't you even the least bit curious aunty ?

Or the time I asked a grown ass woman what drugs she was allergic to, and her response was that she doesn't know the name of the drugs that it's only her husband that knows because he's a pharmacist. Hian!
Some of you don't even know the names of the drugs you are taking talk less of why.
It's not good o!

As a patient, it is imperative that you participate actively in the decision making process with regards to your health.
It is your duty, what am I saying sef? It is your right to be well informed about your health condition, the treatment options available, costs, benefits and consequences associated with the proposed treatment plan. All these should  be explained to you by your health care provider(yes, this includes the chemist and nurses in your local pharmacy). We are all accountable to and for you.
It has been shown to improve health outcomes.

Note to self: Sometimes I get irritated and on the defensive when a patient starts questioning the line of treatment but it ought not to be so.

Keep personal health records. They could come in handy someday.
When in doubt, you're at liberty to seek a second and even a third professional opinion.
Finally, please don't confuse your Google search with my medical degree.

   Class dismissed.

No comments:

Post a Comment