....my oh so very random thoughts

Wednesday 23 March 2016

WaZoBia

My mom has two super powers for when she goes to the market.
In addition to her native dialect, she can speak Yoruba and Hausa.
Why is this a super power you may ask?
Because the price of 1kilo of carrot can drop drastically from N400/kilo to N250/kilo just because mom spoke Hausa to the mallam that sells the carrot .

Even more impressive is that if she happens to meet an Igbo seller in the market, they start bargaining with her in Ibo language, wrongly assuming that she is an Igbo woman because apparently she looks like one (I get that all the time too). Sometimes she has to apologize that she isn't Igbo, other times she plays the situation like a true Igbo woman.😁

But perharps the greatest super power/ bargaining chip she has is ME.
"My customer is this your daughter? Oyibo Nigeria! My color! She's so fine."
"Yes o. She's a medical doctor now."
"Is that so! Wow my dear congratulations o. Nne come and sit down you hear, make them no stain this your color..."
*yada yada yada*

Needless to say we left that shop with a generous discount that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment