....my oh so very random thoughts

Tuesday 1 March 2016

A Pot Of Afang Does Not A Calabar Woman Make - The Rant

Disclaimer: The following rant was inspired by Arit Okpo's BellaNaija article "A Pot Of Afang Does Not A Calabar Woman Make"

There are four things Nigerians typically associate with people from Akwa Ibom/Calabar:
1) Ekaette i.e house help
2) Dog meat. We love us some 404
3) Edikaikong soup. If you haven't eaten edikaikong, you haven't lived. I don't make the rules.
4) Bedroom Olympics. Now this is where things get a bit crazy.

For the purpose of this conversation (and all the stereotypes that go with it), my use of the phrase 'Calabar  woman" shall include my Efik, Ibibio, Anang and northern cross riverian sisters.

So you tell a young man that you are from Calabar, next thing you know he's asking when you can come to his house to cook Afang soup.
The more daring ones will ask straight up "So you sabi do the thing wella abi" and you can feel them mentally undressing you with their eyes. Sigh.

But there's more to a Calabar girl than a pot of afang soup and as for the other thing, I can't speak on behalf of us all.
However let me tell you what years of observation and association with Calabar women has taught me.

1) A Calabar woman is the perfect hostess. She can kill you with love (and food). Leave matter for Matthias, a Calabar woman will go all out to make you feel comfortable, relaxed and at home.
2) They don't joke when it comes to food. Nothing is done in half measures. They prefer to prepare their meals from scratch with fresh ingredients through and through.
3) Calabar women are neat freaks. My God! I am yet to meet a "dirty" one. They abhor dirtiness and untidiness, it's almost borderline OCD.
4) Maybe it's just me, but I have discovered that Calabar women who speak another language other than Efik/Ibibio, it's usually always Yoruba. I find it fascinating.
5) A Calabar woman pays attention to detail and is usually very eloquent and graceful.
6) Did I forget to mention that we have really gorgeous women this side of the planet.

Happy New month!

No comments:

Post a Comment