....my oh so very random thoughts

Thursday 5 November 2015

Everyday is for the thief


    It's been a long time coming and I've all but physically restrained myself from ranting on this issue but that ship has sailed.
    Can we please talk about plagiarism as it pertains to Nigerians?

    Just yesterday, I was searching for a news story online in order to verify its authenticity and I discovered that all of the blogs I visited that carried the story said the same thing word for word. It was just about one or two blogs that bothered to quote the source of their story, which was I this case Tribune newspaper.
    In short eh, these Nigerian bloggers have no fear of God in them. They would plagiarize any and every thing if it would mean their blog gets more hits. Remember the Linda Ikeji saga. 

    Then we have the "copy and paste" people on Facebook. These ones their stock in trade is to kidnap other people's status messages and pass them off as their own, without even bothering to acknowledge the source. It is mildly amusing when I see a status message on somebody's wall (that I know they didn't author) and then people will comment under it with things like "You are really a lovely writer" and the person will have the effrontery  to reply "Thank you *insert smiley or kiss emoticon*"
    Na wa.

    The one that simply astounds me are lecture slides. One lecturer  can just decide to sit down and regurgitate Wikipedia or Medscape as a PowerPoint presentation without even bothering to quote references.
    P.S hope y'all know that Wikipedia information cannot be 100% relied upon. I mean basically anybody can stroll into a Wiki page and edit something. I know I have.


    Back to the matter. 
      "Plagiarism is the "wrongful appropriation" and "stealing and publication" of another author's "language, thoughts, ideas, or expressions" and the representation of them as one's own original work. It is an act of fraud"

      To whom the cap fits, let him wear it. Consider yourself warned.

2 comments:

  1. Plagiarism is also very discouraging, it discourages up coming writers and goes ahead to frustrate the established ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plagiarism is not funny (LOL). When one gets to the real world (#notNigeria), you notice that it is a serious issue oo. I have learned from experience, now all my works are completely mine, not Half Wikepedia, and Half- Google. I even use MLA 5 format

    ReplyDelete