....my oh so very random thoughts

Wednesday 11 March 2015

The Preachers Kid

It's probably a misplaced feeling but I usually feel slighted when I tell someone that I'm a preacher's kid and the person responds with "No wonder!" 😑
Oh and then those people that go about saying "Pastor pikin, na dem worse pass" just infuriate me to no end. Judgmental much?😬 Last time I checked, Christianity(or being born again) was not a genetic something.
The worst are the church members(no offense). It's like they are just watching and waiting for you to slip up. I mean God forbid you don't join the choir or any other church activity, one overzealous sister would call you aside on Sunday to "advice" you. They are everywhere, lurking on your Facebook and stalking your updates just so they can go and report their "findings" to your parents or bring you up as prayer topic.
Oh and let's not even talk about the pressure to follow in your parents footsteps and live up to expectation. If I had a dollar for every time I heard someone say "Remember your father is a pastor" 🙈

Chai, even to this day(at my age o!) anytime we go to church together, my mother(bless her heart) makes sure we sit in front of the church, if possible close to her sef 😅 She just signals us with her eye and you better fall in line. We are always the first to reach church(the Father is a stickler for punctuality) and the last to leave, so Sunday mornings in our house is like fire brigade.
I have no regrets being born into a Christian family or being a PK for that matter but Lord knows I most def wouldn't wanna be a pastor's wife(don't judge me)
And like a fellow preacher's kid so aptly stated; "The problem with being a preacher’s kid is that you can’t be a normal Christian"
<<end of rant>>

4 comments:

  1. So what I'm hearing is....you don't want to become a pastor.
    Lool. Imagine how we, whose fathers rejected the title but not the responsibility, feel?? Worse of the lot we have been called. lol. Neither PK nor regular either. lol
    Mi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never get over this one....its mind blowing. I get euphoric reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do any of your friends speak normal English?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear! You just said it all, I came here from a link on facebook. I used to be guilty of saying "Pastors' pikin na them worse pass". Then, my parents became church officers. While in University I did not join any fellowship, no committee, I wasn't a church worker.
    When I graduated I had more time on my hands, in my mind I just wanted to serve in church...but my parents were more concerned with Aunty Rebecca complaining that I did not join youth (women) association, or Uncle Marcus' daughter who was singing in the choir and I was not...and other church members who said, "is she not the Senior Elder's child, why is she not part of the youth fellowship?"
    Sometimes, I cannot even be me because someone may be lurking around just waiting for me to do something probably my father has asked youth members not to. And my parents will go "Oh, what will the church members say?" Most times, I am more concerned about not 'shaming' my parents than even God. Talk about "not being able to just be a NORMAL christian".
    Most of the departments I belong in church, I did not sign up for them, I just got a letter saying my name was penned down there.
    Anyway, I am a church worker now just focused on my spiritual growth and not playing church to make people happy.
    Every church activity is compulsory now. Talk about sunday mornings in our house, we start preparing from Fridays, more than fire brigade...My mother and father work in several departments in church, me too. Even when it is just the six of us, sometimes we have to leave in batches. Planning for a sunday service is like planning for a day trip out of town.
    About marrying a Pastor, I won't judge you because I don't think I can manage that.

    ReplyDelete