....my oh so very random thoughts

Saturday 14 May 2016

Gender Equality and What Not

Disclaimer: This is not a feminist post.

There are few things I fear in this life, some even more than others. But there is one thing I really do dread, and that's being trapped in a marriage I have to endure.
Note that I didn't say loveless marriage. It stops my heart cold just thinking about it.

In the past couple of weeks I have had several occasions to speak with a couple of guys about my profession and the obscene amount of hours I spend at work. It was rather interesting to observe that none of them cared to ask what my plans for my career were or how I hoped to achieve the peak of my career.

Nosiree! Instead what I got asked was "So how will you be cooking for your husband if you spend this much time at work"? You know because afterall a woman's education ends in the kitchen, bent over a pot of soup.

One of them went as far as saying how dissapointed he was in me because I said I wouldn't put my career on hold so my husband can pursue his.
Of course I said that to get a rise out of him but why does the woman always have to make the most sacrifice/compromise in a marriage? What stops both of us from pursuing our careers?

Then when they see you are making sense with your arguments, they try to whack you over the head with the portion of Scripture about submission, role reversal and Armageddon.

Or maybe the real issue here is that I need to re evaluate the breed of men I interact with.

        <<end of rant>>

No comments:

Post a Comment