....my oh so very random thoughts

Monday 6 April 2015

Conversation Killers

Disclaimer: Probably might regret posting this by tomorrow morning....

Nigerian: So can you speak the language?
Me: Not very well.
Nigerian: Ahn ahn! But you've been there for a long time. Then how do you communicate?
Me: Sign language
Nigerian: What do you people speak over there, is it Russian or Ukranian?
Me: Mostly Russian but in some cities they speak Ukranian
Nigerian: Oya say something in Russian let me hear 


Side note: It's not as if when I speak the Russian you'd understand what I'm saying or you can even tell I'm saying the right thing. But I politely oblige....

Me: *says something in Russian* как дела?
Nigerian: *tries to repeat what I've said* *laughs sheepishly* What does it mean?
Me: It means How are you?
Nigerian: Ok ok! So how do you say Good morning in Russian?
Me:*mentally shoots self*

 Maybe it's just me but everyone has a "background" story that somehow connects them to Ukraine. Case in point...
Nigerian: Which country do you school?
Me: Ukraine
Nigerian: Eheh! Do you know so and so person?
Me: *looking incredulous* No.....which city does he/she reside?
Nigerian: Errr....I don't really know but I know she studies in Ukraine. She is my former classmate.
Me: *calmly explains that there are many universities in different cities in Ukraine and I cannot be expected to know everyone.*
Nigerian: Ah ok, I thought all of you were in the same place.
Me: *restrains self from rolling eyes* *exhales*

Side Note:
There was this one time that somebody actually brought a photo of someone he knew in Ukraine to ask me if I knew the person. I'm just standing there like am I being punked or what?
Then everyone has an opinion about the "war"
Nigerian: Hei! You school in Ukraine? I heard Putin is dealing with you people there.
Me: *quizzical expression on my face*
Nigerian: I hope you are not near the place where they are fighting o
Me: No sir. The unrest is just in Donetsk and Lugansk. It's not widespread.
Nigerian: *now trying to form History student* Lugansk, that is in the south of Ukraine right?
Me: I don't know.

Then the ones that I find quite amusing
Nigerian: You're coming back next year abi?
Side Note: What the person really means to ask you is: "This medical school wey u dey go since, you no wan finish?!"
Soon my dear people. Real soon...
>><<

1 comment:

  1. lol so it's not purely an American thing then (the idiotic statements I mean), where there is the assumption that Africa is just one long street and you are bound to come across someone from Uganda and then another person from Kenya on the same day.

    I like the 'you no wan finish'. My other favourite is 'you no go marry'....like that is the only other thing I could be doing aside from school/not being a student is a requirement for marriage.

    xo

    ReplyDelete