....my oh so very random thoughts

Wednesday 14 September 2016

The Young Physician and Social Media

On today's episode of "Study medicine they said, it'd be fun they said...."
The Young Physician and Social Media.

1630 Hours.
Children Emergency Unit.

"Good evening Dr Esther"
The confusion is apparent on my face as I struggle to put a name to the face of the beautiful woman who seemed to know me well enough to call me by my name.
"I know you don't know me", she says smiling, "I'm your friend on Facebook and I used to read your write ups even before you became Oyibo Pepper"
And on and on she went; introducing me to her family members present.

There I was smiling from ear to ear.
All of a sudden I didn't feel so tired anymore. It was going to be a good call.

I don't know about people who claim that Facebook isn't real life but I know it has its bearings there.
As a health professional one has to be mindful of the image one projects on social media. Your patients(or future boss for that matter) just might be watching.

If the world was a global village before, the advent of social media has turned it into your backyard..

BE MINDFUL OF WHAT YOU  SAY/DO ON SOCIAL MEDIA
 ** If you've had a really bad day at work, say maybe a difficult patient or your senior talked down at you, don't come straightaway and rant about it on social media. Blow off steam elsewhere.

** Speaking of patients, do not use your patients to preach/rant online. If you really must use an experience with a patient to pass across valuable information then be discreet about it.

** When passing across medical information online, try not to sound like a high handed condescending know it all. Your patient may not know that pavor noctornus is the technical term for what he believes to be witches from his village pressing him at night and it's your duty to inform/educate him.

** Ensure that any info you share online is accurate, up to date and relevant to your clime.

** If you must take selfies or pictures at work, try and keep your patients(or anything that can identify them) out of the frame.

** Don't go about undermining or  bringing down the reputation of your professional colleagues. Sometimes the diagnosis is really just malaria/typhoid.

No comments:

Post a Comment