....my oh so very random thoughts

Tuesday 16 June 2015

Little Drops Of Water (Medicine at it's finest)

 Practicing medicine in Nigeria can be a real downer especially as you come across care givers/health care professionals who have lost their passion and the compassion (sympathy/empathy) needed for medicine because the system is broken. But just last summer I had an encounter with a lovely doctor which reminded me that in my future practice, I must not lose sight of what's important.....

Highlight of my day? The instant smile on the face of a sickly 7year old boy with HIV.

As he sat on the chair in the consultants office, beads of sweat poured down his frail looking frame. Shoulders hunched and head bowed, it looked like he was carrying the weight of the whole world on his shoulders. He was so thin you could make out the outline of his ribs. He didn't for once raise his head or speak up while the doctor examined him.

After the pediatrician was done examining him, she asked his mother to carry him back to the chair as he could barely walk.
He looked so sad. Too sad for a 7 year old. So I went over to talk to him. "What is your name?" "My name is Destiny". That was the most I could get out of him as he went back to fidgeting with his hands. So while I sat there feeling bad for him and wondering what I could say/do to make him feel better, the doctor asked his mother; "Why is he looking so sad?"
Turning to the boy she said "My dear, why are you sad? Do you want to eat?" That was the magic word. The transformation was instantaneous.
His face lit up like a 1000 watts bulb. His lips curved into a shy smile. And for the first time since his mother carried him into that consulting room, he looked up and said Yes, he wanted biscuit. It was the most heartwarming thing.
After a series of questions, the doctor was able to deduce that he wanted Caprisonne and Digestive biscuit. After which the doctor turned to his mother and said "I'm prescribing 2 packets of Digestive biscuit and Caprisonne for him stat"

When it was time to go, you won't believe that the child who could barely walk on his own, jumped up from the chair beaming and all ready to go. I was literally fighting back tears.
It didn't matter the amount or efficacy of the drugs the doctor prescribed, the healing process for that child started the instant the doctor cared enough to ask him why he was so sad. It could have been easy enough to assume he was sad because he was sick and in pain.

What is the moral of this my plenty story now you may ask? I don't know for now,. But it was the ultimate high point of my day. I really hope you can identify with it.

1 comment:

  1. Veyr delightful story my dear. I glad you shared

    ReplyDelete